MSJC Cheer Team Back After Nearly A Decade

The Spring semester holds new beginnings around all of the campuses at MSJC this year. Mt. San Jacinto College hosted cheer tryouts in December 2023 to proudly introduce the new cheer team in January 2024. College cheer tryouts and a new team may seem ordinary and unexciting to most. However, in nearly a decade, MSJC has not had a cheer team to represent the school, cheer on teams, and spread school spirit. That decade without a cheer team makes this year’s new team an exciting accomplishment for the school, especially those participating in the cheerleading club. 

Julie Freeman, MSJC’s dance department chair, is the advisor for the Cheerleading Team. Cheer and dance hold many similarities, and dance is also involved in cheerleading, leaving the cheer team with the perfect advisor. Although Cheer may have Julie Freeman as one advisor, the team is still seeking a second advisor from any MSJC campus. 

The team currently consists of fifteen cheerleaders, with three captains. Working hard together, the team has put together many cheers to use throughout the basketball and football seasons. They have also put together dance routines to perform for halftimes. The MSJC cheer team will be cheering alongside the men’s basketball games, and you can also catch them cheering alongside women’s basketball games.

The MSJC cheer team first performed for halftime at the men’s basketball game on February 3rd. They gave a fantastic performance, about a minute and a half long, featuring three dances. The second halftime performance the cheer team is doing is on Valentine’s Day on February 14th, which features two dances. Alongside halftime performances, the cheer team also prioritizes cheering for the school’s teams, raising school spirit, and using cheers, chants, and rallying to raise spirit in the crowds at sporting and school events. 

With all the fantastic events to come, we can’t wait to see the cheer team at more school events. Raising school spirit and bringing pride to the MSJC campuses, the cheer team is here to stay and cheer for Mt. San Jacinto College. After nearly a decade of being gone, expect to see the MSJC cheer team around all campuses.