The Student News Site of Mt. San Jacinto College

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

Local Hiking: The Good and The Bad
Local Hiking: The Good and The Bad
Annabelle Morris, Writer • May 21, 2024

Hiking is one of the oldest and most used forms of exercise. Whether you want to get into shape through walking or running, hiking is a great...

How To Maintain Motivation
How To Maintain Motivation
Alyssa Brookshire, Writer • May 21, 2024

As the spring semester begins to close and finals season begins, students everywhere are faced with the daunting question of “How do I get...

Rock the Oaks: Music for a Cause
Rock the Oaks: Music for a Cause
Lainey ParkMay 20, 2024

On June 13th, the nonprofit Oak Grove Center will host its 16th annual Rock the Oaks event. This event highlights local talent while raising...

Sign up for weekly email updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Journalism at MSJC
Talon Archives

Spending Time in Nature is Healing

Often, people say that nature heals, but what do they mean by that?

Sometimes, the pressure of our day-to-day tasks can become overwhelming. Consistent school work that needs to be accomplished,  job schedules, keeping up a social life, and still maintaining hobbies can lead to stress and burnout. Managing this can be simple. Have you ever had a harsh day and gone on a walk after, or maybe sat in the sun and noticed your mood increase? This is because nature is known to heal. An article by the National Library of Medicine explained that evidence has been found for an “association between nature exposure and improved cognitive function, brain activity, blood pressure, mental health, physical activity, and sleep.”  To sum it up, nature heals almost anything and everything. 

Since humans are part of nature, all the extra material things we have in life further de-connect us from the earth. Although these technological advancements and man-made unnatural products make our lives easier in the long run, it’s important to go back to our roots. Studies show that it only takes “Precisely 120 minutes”, so two hours, to leave you feeling “healthy and have a strong sense of well-being.”  This is a very reasonable amount of time to start introducing into your daily or weekly habits. The benefits of nature exposure not only target your mental health but also increase physical and emotional health. 

Pexels: Mart Production

I noticed a difference in my life when I started prioritizing some time out in nature. Walking my dog, hiking, or waking up early to see the sunrise increased my overall health. An article by the University of Minnesota stated that “even a simple plant in a room can have a significant impact on stress reacts and anxiety, but it can effect everyone differently because there are so many possibilities. When choosing to be in nature, I like to focus on going to the ocean, lakes, or rivers. Although this may not be for everyone, other possibilities, such as trees, hills, deserts, and fields, are very enjoyable once you try. Once you find your passion in nature, it becomes a habit to step out of your comfort zone to experience more and connect with nature on a deeper level.  

After seeing nature’s benefits, I challenge everyone reading to go out and prioritize their health! Give yourself a break from school, work, hobbies, and social life to discover the parts of nature you enjoy most. Try doing some homework out at a park or make time to take your friends on a hike. I created an infographic of amazing places that I recommend to give ideas of ways to kickstart this new aspect of health that everyone should incorporate into their current lifestyle to prove that nature does heal.