A Reflection on Hispanic Heritage

Cynthia Carillo, Vice President / Writer

Hispanic heritage is important because we are acknowledging all sorts of things in our history and culture. Hispanic heritage can come from all over the world some places being Mexico, Guatemala, and Spain. Being a Hispanic, there is so much to learn such as cooking or learning a new language. 

Now let me say, Spanish is one of the hardest languages to learn! I can understand it completely, but I just can’t pick it up. Funny thing is when it comes to Spanish music I can sing my heart out. Here are some examples:

Selena Quintanilla, “Dreaming Of You”

I can’t stop dreaming of you (Spanish version: No puedo dejar de pensar en ti)

Enrique Iglesias, “Hero” 

I can be your hero, baby. I can kiss away the pain. I will stand by you forever. You can take my breath away.

Demi Lovato & Luis Fonsi, “Echame La Culpa”

I don’t really, really wanna fight anymore; I don’t really, really wanna fake it no more; Play me like; The Beatles, baby, just let it be; So come and put the blame on me, yeah.

These are all wonderful and each has a story behind the song. Whether it is about being in love, being an inspiration to others or even a break up song, they all are amazing. Latin music is truly important to an artist for the sake that it plays a role in personal identity. For many latinos, this gives them a great sense of pride in their heritage. When one is able to be themselves they have no problem expressing who they are. 

Student submission #4, Collage of Hispanic Figures