The Student News Site of Mt. San Jacinto College

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

Killers of the Flower Moon and Where Money Flows Freely
"Killers of the Flower Moon" and Where Money Flows Freely
Scarlett CoitFebruary 27, 2024

The film opens with a scene in Oklahoma in 1919, on the land of the Osage tribe. Osage elders conduct a pipe ceremony, lamenting their assimilation...

In the City Beauty Supply 
Photographer:  Queen Touch
Celebrating Culture, In The City Beauty Supply
Tierra Feagin and Mia RotellFebruary 26, 2024

In recognition of African American History Month, we are going around our community to appreciate flourishing black-owned businesses. Today,...

MSJC Cheer Team Back After Nearly A Decade
Bella Eastman, Writer • February 23, 2024

The Spring semester holds new beginnings around all of the campuses at MSJC this year. Mt. San Jacinto College hosted cheer tryouts in December...

Pexels Leonid Danilov
Screw Fast Fashion
February 22, 2024
woman with her hands raised in the air in victory
On the Topic of Failure
February 21, 2024
The official Super Bowl LVIII logo.
Super Bowl LVIII Recap
February 19, 2024
Sign up for weekly email updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Journalism at MSJC
Talon Archives

New Season, New Stadium, New Conference for the Eagles

A major change is here for MSJC’s football team. The Eagles will play their first season in a new football stadium on the Menifee campus after playing at Carl Quandt Stadium in San Jacinto for over two decades. Not only do the Eagles have a new home, but they are now also in a new conference. After winning back-to-back American Mountain League Conference Championships, the Eagles will now join the National Southern Conference. The National Southern Conference will provide a new challenge for the Eagles as it might be one of the best conferences in the state. One thing for sure is that head coach Casey Mazzotta and the Eagles football team are up for the challenge. 

MSJC Eagles practicing in the new stadium. (Eddie Landeros)

In the National Southern Conference, the Eagles will face teams like Riverside City (RCC), Fullerton, and San Diego Mesa. The RCC Tigers won the 2019 California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) Championship and have played in three consecutive CCCAA Championship games. The Fullerton Hornets are coming off a season where they finished 10-2 but lost 31-17 against RCC in the Southern California Football Association (SCFA) Championship. The San Diego Mesa Olympians finished 7-4 last season and have qualified for a bowl game in three consecutive seasons. Last season, the Eagles finished 9-2 and were undefeated conference champions in the American Mountain League, but came up short against Citrus in the SCFA American Championship Bowl. The Eagles have an opportunity to compete with some of the best teams in the CCCAA this year and it will be interesting to see how the Eagles do against these teams. 

Wide receiver Elijah Simley with a reception against Mt. San Antonio (MSJC Athletics/Jerry Lee Palad)

The Eagles are currently 0-1 to start the season following a 23-7 defeat on the road against Mt. San Antonio. The Eagles will play their home opener against the Citrus Owls on Sept. 9 at the new stadium in Menifee. The game will be a rematch of the American Championship Bowl game last season. Let’s pack the new stadium and support our Eagles. Get tickets here