The Student News Site of Mt. San Jacinto College

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

My Experience at the BNP Paribas 2024
My Experience at the BNP Paribas 2024
Hokulea Rezentes, Writer • April 25, 2024

There are many ways the community can come together through common interests. This can be by attending movies, church, jobs, and, most commonly,...

Plus or Minus Grading Model Update for Fall 2025
Gianluca CansecoApril 24, 2024

A new grading model was introduced to the Academic Senate about a year ago, sparking conversation around MSJC. Earlier in March of this year,...

An Apartment We Can Afford: the Housing Crisis in the Southern Inland Empire
Avery Saucier, Author • April 23, 2024

Let’s face it: rent prices in the Menifee-Murrieta-Temecula area are getting out of control. For many young adults, apartments are usually...

Meghan Kauffman at Title IX booth at Club Crush on the Menifee campus.
Title IX
April 12, 2024
Sign up for weekly email updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Journalism at MSJC
Talon Archives

Art classes transition online

By Jesus Alcala Avalos | Feb. 5, 2021

Art classes transition online: A piece of art being created by a painter. Provided by Professor Chet Glaze

In the Spring of 2020, Mt. San Jacinto College closed its campuses due to the coronavirus pandemic. Classes that were normally in-person transitioned to online-only.

During the time that the campus was closed, Professor Chet Glaze was teaching Art Appreciation, Painting, Ceramics, and Sculpture. Art Appreciation was easily moved online as that course was mostly lectures and exams. The other courses were harder to transition to an online environment.

“Pretty much everything is harder to do online in Painting. There are so many nuanced things we discuss in class,” wrote Glaze.

Art classes transition online: Paints ready to be used to make a painting

Before the pandemic, Glaze would teach techniques in-person, enforce a good body posture, and pass around materials for students to feel and examine. In the online environment, techniques were taught through pre-recorded videos. Students could ask questions during the Zoom meetings. While body posture and materials could be discussed online, Glaze believes that the lack of a physical point of reference made an enormous difference to the students’ understanding of painting.

The final project was altered to use a study rather than a finished painting, and Glaze noted that his class was able to cover all of the planned coursework for painting.

Students in sculpture used materials they had available to create the sculptures for their assignments. Before the pandemic, students would have created a sculpture made out of bronze that required assistance from casting experts to create casts and pour the bronze. Glaze explained that the casts used in class required specific materials that are costly and not safe for students to store.

Tools to create a piece of art. Provided by: Professor Glaze

Without access to the kiln on campus, Ceramics transitioned to a research-heavy course where students researched the chemical processes involved in the glazing and firing of ceramics and an artist research project.

“The issue really was that the ceramics students did not sign up for exclusive research so they were very unmotivated,” wrote Glaze.

Courses that required the use of MSJC’s facilities like Ceramics and Sculpture were cancelled for the Fall 2020 semester while courses like Painting, Digital Art, and Art Appreciation would be available for the Fall semester.

Although enrollment and retention are good for Glaze’s Fall semester, he has concerns about how many students will want to continue art through online instruction.

“Most of our studio students are so fatigued from videos and lack of direct instruction that I am not sure how many of them will take studio courses in the Spring,” wrote Glaze.

A canvas being traced onto the page. Provided by: Professor Glaze

While Glaze will work with the Art Department to create a better online environment, he believes that MSJC has an obligation to invest in technology for students to be able to pursue an online education.

“I am hopeful that we as faculty can adapt well enough to make the Spring better than Fall but we will have to wait and see,” wrote Glaze.

An artwork made in a studio. Provided by: Professor Glaze