Breaking News
The Student News Site of Mt. San Jacinto College

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

Billie Eilish’s HIT ME HARD AND SOFT Album Uncovers Stalker Situation
Gabriel Lozano, Writer • May 22, 2024

Billie Eilish’s third album, HIT ME HARD AND SOFT, was released on May 17th, 2024, featuring ten tracks totaling 43 minutes. The album goes...

Navigating the Challenge
Navigating the Challenge
Cat Hill, Writer • May 21, 2024

4-H, a renowned youth development program, has empowered young people across the United States for over a century. While its roots lie in agriculture,...

Local Hiking: The Good and The Bad
Local Hiking: The Good and The Bad
Annabelle Morris, Writer • May 21, 2024

Hiking is one of the oldest and most used forms of exercise. Whether you want to get into shape through walking or running, hiking is a great...

Sign up for weekly email updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Journalism at MSJC
Talon Archives

Eagle Softball Team Wins Against San Bernardino Valley

This marks another win for the Eagles this season. The game against San Bernadino was well-played and ended with a 9 to 1 score and an Eagles win. The Eagles only allowed one run within the game and ended early. Let’s take a deep dive into this game. Hopefully, this win marks a streak to advance into the playoffs. 

The game started with a bang for San Bernadino, who got a runner on base through a bunt. Although the next two batters got out, they allowed the girl on base to advance. The pitcher for The Eagles had some wild pitches, which allowed the runner to advance to third and then to home, but that was short-lived with the next batter out. They had a rally with a single for the Eagle’s offense, followed by a double to left field. The Eagles hit another double after ringing in another run. Then, a single brought in another run. This inning was a good foreshadowing of how the rest of the game would go.

The top of the second inning started well for MSJC’s defense. The pitcher was throwing strike after strike with remarkable accuracy. There was only one mishap at first, a dropped ball allowing the opposite team to get a runner on base. However, the defense stayed strong, getting all other outs through caught fly balls. With the Eagles up to bat, two runners got on base, but other than that, no one scored. 

In the third inning, the Eagles’ defense showed continued strength in keeping San Bernadino in check. They got two girls out with two pop flies, one at second and the other at shortstop. San Bernadino got one runner on first through an error, but The Eagles’ left fielder caught a flyout to end the top of the inning. With the Eagles up to bat, it did not start too strong, with the first out a pop-up to second. Then, a rally started after Huer hit a single, Bla hit a single, and Morris hit another single. Bases loaded put a lot of pressure on the next up-to-bat, Carrasco, but with that, she hit another single, which brought a run in. Then the next two up-to-bat hit and brought a runner in each, but there were some outs. San Bernadino needed something different because it seemed the Eagles could intend the next pitch. They changed pitchers, which worked well for them, ending with a fly ball to right field for the last out of the inning.  

For San Bernadino, the fourth inning was similar to the earlier ones, with the first three batters getting out. The pitcher for the Eagles continued to throw strikes throughout this inning, striking out the first batter. Then the Eagles’ defense backed her up with a ground out and a fly ball. The bottom of the inning was eventful for the Eagles, with a big double to left field. Errors were the Eagle’s best friend, allowing them to advance on bases. This inning, they added another run to the scoreboard. 

During the fifth inning, San Bernadino felt some hope in getting another run with three hits, allowing hitters to get on base. With the pressure put on the Eagles, they changed pitchers from 41 to 33. This proved to be a good idea, with the Eagles getting out at home and being able to keep them from getting any runs. It could have been more eventful for the Eagles’ offense, with only one batter getting on base and the others out fairly quickly. 

The final inning proved to be a good one for the Eagles again, with two runs scored. An amazing double hit to left field caused one to score. With a well-played defensive inning with only one runner allowed on base for San Bernadino, the umpires ended the game after this inning with San Bernadino too far below the Eagles. This game was an all-around win for the home team; thus, roving this team is a force to be reckoned with.