The Student News Site of Mt. San Jacinto College

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

Killers of the Flower Moon and Where Money Flows Freely
"Killers of the Flower Moon" and Where Money Flows Freely
Scarlett CoitFebruary 27, 2024

The film opens with a scene in Oklahoma in 1919, on the land of the Osage tribe. Osage elders conduct a pipe ceremony, lamenting their assimilation...

In the City Beauty Supply 
Photographer:  Queen Touch
Celebrating Culture, In The City Beauty Supply
Tierra Feagin and Mia RotellFebruary 26, 2024

In recognition of African American History Month, we are going around our community to appreciate flourishing black-owned businesses. Today,...

MSJC Cheer Team Back After Nearly A Decade
Bella Eastman, Writer • February 23, 2024

The Spring semester holds new beginnings around all of the campuses at MSJC this year. Mt. San Jacinto College hosted cheer tryouts in December...

Pexels Leonid Danilov
Screw Fast Fashion
February 22, 2024
woman with her hands raised in the air in victory
On the Topic of Failure
February 21, 2024
The official Super Bowl LVIII logo.
Super Bowl LVIII Recap
February 19, 2024
Sign up for weekly email updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Journalism at MSJC
Talon Archives

Spring Semester Kicks Off with “Baile De Noche”

The MSJC spring semester kicked off with “Baile de Noche,” an extravaganza full of dancing, food, cars, and prizes! On January 26th, the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (M.E.Ch.A.) celebrated its third anniversary with “Baile de Noche,” a celebration that invited all students and clubs to participate. Its club is rooted in student activism to promote higher education, culture, and history. More than ever, this is a perfect time to celebrate, as Hispanics/Latinx students make up the majority of students at MSJC. 

“Baile de Noche” was a wonderful event that celebrates Latin American culture with a decor of Latin flags, colorfully dressed dancers, and classic Latin music. Local folk dancers, baile folklorico dancers, came from Temecula Valley High School to MSJC to perform a lively dance full of swinging and “grietas,” or yelling. The performance was nothing short of amazing and endearing to those who came to experience and recapture the culture with their friends and families.

To complement this came savory and delicious Mexican cuisine straight off the grills of the food truck “Tacos Birria El Flaquito.” On another side, a local shop came to sell glamorous jewelry and, for all the sneakerheads, sneaker keychains. 

To all the car enthusiasts in Riverside County, the parking lot was packed with a vast array of novelty cars. From Chevy’s to GMC’s, there was nothing uninteresting about these cars, with their vibrant colors, neon lights, and wheels that raise the car four feet in the air. 

To close the celebration, we all sang Happy Birthday to M.E.Ch.A, and cake was served. The final activity was a raffle and many participants won jar-shaped glass mugs and other goodies. 

Overall, the event was an amazing time for all students to come and celebrate the Hispanic/Latinx culture and enjoy a night of dazzling performances with savory treats. If you missed this event, don’t worry! M.E.Ch.A plans on kicking off more events later in the semester, so keep a look out on M.E.Ch.A’s Instagram.