The Student News Site of Mt. San Jacinto College

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

Photo by MSJC Athletics
A Great Defense Has Been The Eagles’ Key To Success In Softball
Derrick Spearman, Writer • April 26, 2024

After finishing 17-15 last season, the Eagles finished this season with an improved record at 20-13 as the Eagles look to return to postseason...

Californias Fast Food Wage Increase
California's Fast Food Wage Increase
Jhun Rhoy, Journalist • April 26, 2024

Starting April 1st, 2024, California has significantly increased the state minimum wage for fast food workers. The new minimum wage for fast-food...

My Experience at the BNP Paribas 2024
My Experience at the BNP Paribas 2024
Hokulea Rezentes, Writer • April 25, 2024

There are many ways the community can come together through common interests. This can be by attending movies, church, jobs, and, most commonly,...

Meghan Kauffman at Title IX booth at Club Crush on the Menifee campus.
Title IX
April 12, 2024
Sign up for weekly email updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Journalism at MSJC
Talon Archives

Merry Charities that Help Make a Difference in the Inland Empire

Tis the season to give

What makes the holiday season magical isn’t the food, the festive drinks, or even the gifts. It’s about love and giving to your loved ones and community. Fortunately, for those in the Inland Empire, there are many charities, organizations, and events available for you to give to this holiday season. So light the fireplace, grab a blanket, and see how you can give back to the community during a time of closeness and generosity.

Menifee

Menifee Hometown Holiday Festival

Help those in need while having fun at the Mt. San Jacinto College Menifee campus! At the Hometown Holiday festival, donate to the toy drive while participating in an ugly sweater contest. Enjoy getting goodies, gift cards, food, and drinks, and supporting local businesses.

Address: 28237 La Piedra Rd, Menifee, CA 92584

Date: December 9th

Time: 3 pm – 8 pm

More information on their Instagram

Murrieta/Temecula

The Salvation Army

All year long, the Salvation Army helps communities around the globe by lending a helping hand to groups in need, such as disaster survivors, the elderly, those in need of housing, and many more. All through November and December they’re feeding hungry families, handing out toys to children, spreading holiday warmth and a smile to the elderly on Thanksgiving. For the Salvation Army, no one goes through holidays alone or feeling unappreciated. Whether you donate your time, energy, and love to the events or donate your money which puts food on people’s tables, any little bit counts. Additionally, they’re accepting volunteers this holiday season.

Sign up for an event

Donate money 

Visit their general site for the Inland Empire

The Mexico Cafe Tag Event

With all its joy and happiness, the holiday season can often be an incredibly stressful time for parents, with many being unable to afford much. However, children of MSJC students don’t have to spend this holiday season empty-handed because, in collaboration with the Mexico Cafe in Temecula, Phi Theta Kappa, and MSJC EOPS will be putting out a Christmas Tree with 100 tags to pick from. Each tag will have the student’s child’s age and wish. So make a child’s wish come true and pick up a tag on the way out of the Cafe! The date will not be disclosed until MSJC EOPS collects all the tags.

Address: 44500 Pechanga Pkwy, Temecula, CA 92592

Follow the Phi Theta Kappa Instagram for a decided date, and other information

Coffee and the Local Car Scene

Attention all Temecula car enthusiasts! Let’s spread the holiday joy at the next Coffee and Car’s event. The MSJC Coffee and Cars is back this December! Phi Theta Kappa and MSJC EOPS will be collaborating to hold a toy drive for children whom Santa might need a little help with this holiday season. Bring an unused or unwanted toy for free entry and enjoy a pleasant day of food, coffee, marvelous sports cars, and hot rods.

Address: 41888 Motor Car Pkwy, Temecula, CA 92591

Date: December 10th

Time: 8-10 AM

Follow their Instagram for more information 

Moreno Valley

Open House and Toy Drive Collection

Riverside Assembly Member, Corey Jackson, is hosting a toy drive to kick off the winter season. Help make a child’s Christmas by donating a new unwrapped book or toy to this festive charity event. Enjoy the warmth of your community, feel the joy of giving and a dash of Christmas magic. RSVP for the event by scanning the QR code in the bottom right hand of the flier provided or the link below.

Date: December 6, 4:30-7 pm

Address: 22690 Cactus Ave #280, Moreno Valley, CA 92553

To find out more information call (951)653-0960

RSVP here: shorturl.at/zKYZ6

Orange County

The Youth Center

Orange County’s Los Alamitos Youth Center is hosting a plethora of events and charities to help families and children during this magical time. They will be selling 2ft – 14ft Christmas trees from November 25th- December 16th. You have the opportunity to adopt a family and fill children’s Christmas lists whose parents may not have the money to do so and much more.

Find out more information about the Christmas tree lot here: https://theyouthcenter.org/christmas-tree-lot/

Find out about the adopt a family here: https://theyouthcenter.org/adopt-a-family-program/

Or visit their home page here: https://theyouthcenter.org/

Location: Remote

Warm Up America!

Have a knack for knitting or crocheting? You can put those skills to use by making hats, scarves, blankets, baby clothes, and so much more for Warm Up America. They accept financial and physical donations just put your knitted contributions in a box and ship it to them. So why not put on a cozy movie and get to knitting!

Shipping address: 3740 N. Josey Ln., Ste 126. Carrollton, TX 75007

Date: Anytime

Time: N/A

Find more information here: https://warmupamerica.org/

Can’t attend any of these events?

Charity extends far beyond single events. MSJC EOPS building is taking toy donations on all campuses! Stop by at the rooms and times listed below.

SAN JACINTO CAMPUS
Building 1100, Room 1113​
1499 N. State Street​
San Jacinto, CA 92583​

M-TH 8:00 am-5:00 pm

MENIFEE VALLEY CAMPUS​
Building 250​
28237 La Piedra Road​
Menifee, CA 92584​

M-TH 8:00 am-5:00 pm

TEMECULA VALLEY CAMPUS
Room 240
41888 Motor Car Parkway
Temecula, CA 92591​

M & TH 8:00 am-5:00 pm