The Student News Site of Mt. San Jacinto College

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

The Talon Student News

Photo by MSJC Athletics
A Great Defense Has Been The Eagles’ Key To Success In Softball
Derrick Spearman, Writer • April 26, 2024

After finishing 17-15 last season, the Eagles finished this season with an improved record at 20-13 as the Eagles look to return to postseason...

Californias Fast Food Wage Increase
California's Fast Food Wage Increase
Jhun Rhoy, Journalist • April 26, 2024

Starting April 1st, 2024, California has significantly increased the state minimum wage for fast food workers. The new minimum wage for fast-food...

My Experience at the BNP Paribas 2024
My Experience at the BNP Paribas 2024
Hokulea Rezentes, Writer • April 25, 2024

There are many ways the community can come together through common interests. This can be by attending movies, church, jobs, and, most commonly,...

Meghan Kauffman at Title IX booth at Club Crush on the Menifee campus.
Title IX
April 12, 2024
The Fight Isnt Over
The Fight Isn't Over
April 9, 2024
Sign up for weekly email updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Journalism at MSJC
Talon Archives

Mental Health Takes Center Stage at MSJC: A Spotlight on Tracy Enalen

MSJC’s new Director of Mental Health is ready to tackle the challenges of collegiate mental health and wellness.
Tracy Enalen, MSJC Director of Mental Health

Mental health is a primary concern at Mt. San Jacinto College (MSJC). Tracy Enalen, the unwavering Mental Health Director, leads this initiative by orchestrating a symphony of support services, counseling initiatives, student-centric activities, and advocating for mental health as an essential component of academic achievement. Research for this article showed that MSJC offers mental health counseling in person and via telehealth while conducting various events on and off campus. Enalen was a recent hire, joining the ranks of MSJC in November 2023 after the prior director unfortunately passed away.

Enalen’s involvement with mental health activism began even before her time at MSJC. Due to her background in psychology and years of counseling experience, she is very well-versed in the topic. Her dedication to de-stigmatizing mental health concerns and promoting a culture of caring pervades all aspects of her work.

“I believe that mental health is foundational to student success,” says Enalen, highlighting the need to address students’ psychological well-being and academic goals. “Our goal is to provide a safe space for students to seek support, guidance, and understanding. And as a new face on campus, I couldn’t be more excited to dive in, determine what our students’ needs are, and meet them wherever and whenever we can.”

Enalen’s approach centers on developing a caring community. She hopes to create an environment where students feel empowered to prioritize their mental health by implementing focused outreach initiatives and campaigns. “It’s about fostering resilience and promoting self-care,” she says, emphasizing the need to establish coping methods and support networks.

Enalen’s impact can be understood through the testimony of those directly affected by her activities. Sarah Rodriguez, a psychology major at MSJC, attests to the transforming impact of the college’s mental health programs. “Tracy and her team have been a lifeline for me,” Rodriguez states. “Knowing that there are resources available has made all the difference in navigating the challenges of student life.”

In addition to her direct interaction with students, Enalen works closely with local mental health groups and specialists to ensure comprehensive support for the campus community. She increases the reach and effectiveness of MSJC’s mental health activities by forming partnerships and sharing resources.

Despite the progress accomplished under Enalen’s leadership, obstacles continue. Meeting the increased demand for mental health services on campus remains challenging due to limited funding and manpower. However, Enalen stays consistent, organizing her team and fighting for more resources to better serve pupils.

Enalen looks forward to when mental health will get the funding and attention it needs. She continues to fight for the cause with steadfast commitment and a caring attitude, making a lasting impression on MSJC.

Tracy Enalen is a ray of hope and resiliency as a new chapter in Mt. San Jacinto College’s history of mental health activism begins. Under her leadership, students find comfort, guidance, and a way forward, highlighting the significant effects of placing a high priority on mental health in the quest for academic success.